Applied Research Engineer
Job no: 496504
Work type: Experienced
Location: Kings Langley, UK
Categories: Electronic design, Graphics
This is a unique opportunity to work on cutting edge mathematically-focused designs within the prestigious PowerVR Graphics group.
The Datapath Group is an applied research group that focuses on all aspects of architecting, designing, optimising and verifying mathematical hardware. The group, embedded in the Graphics division, acts as an internal consultancy to the technology divisions within Imagination Technologies. We are looking to grow the part of the team that focuses on architecting and designing numerical hardware and includes formal verification. With breadth and depth, this role offers a unique view of the company’s IP and the opportunity to become a subject specialist.
- Work within a small friendly team of world class design and verification experts.
- Understand, crystallise and extract the requirements for mathematical hardware blocks with various engineers throughout Imagination.
- Research a variety of hardware architectures for implementing math intensive blocks
- Perform formal verification on the resultant design using industry leading tools
- Research new techniques for implementing a vast range of mathematical operations in silicon, becoming a Datapath Expert in the process.
- Produce patentable work in a research and invention focused environment
- Educate other members of the company on datapath design.
Abilities make possibilities
You are strong team player, with excellent analytical skills, outstanding problem solving ability, and a strong background in mathematics.
You are self-motivated and driven with a positive attitude, and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A passion for excellence and attention to detail
- Tenacity and the determination not to let anything stop you getting the job done
- Consultancy mentality: the ability to negotiate and co-ordinate your own projects and timelines
- The ability to imagine and implement improvements to a whole range of processes
- Friendliness and patience: outgoing personality and the ability to work with a variety of people
- A degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or related subject, with Masters or PhD strongly preferred
- Consistent ability to challenge the status quo
You might also have:
- Experience optimising arithmetic hardware
- Strong academics and relevant work experience would also be highly valued.
- Understanding of floating point arithmetic and implementation
- Appreciation of low power Datapath techniques
- Formal Verification Experience
- VHDL, SystemVerilog, C, SystemC, C++, Python, Perl, TCL
We’re champions of technology
The people at Imagination enable the tech that’s shaping our world, from virtual reality to smart phones, autonomous cars to space probes. It’s their creativity that has enabled Imagination to power world-changing electronic products. Dare to dream big? We’ll encourage you to pursue your dream. We listen, we're open and we're honest. Whatever it is you need, you'll be respected and helped along your way.
Want to join the team?
Just click the 'Apply now' button to send in your CV.
Advertised: GMT Standard Time