Summer Placement Datapath Engineer
Job no: 496464
Work type: Summer Placement
Location: Kings Langley, UK
PowerVR is the world leader in Mobile Graphics. This is a chance to work on the next generation of advanced graphics cores for applications such as Mobile Phones, PDAs, Set Top Boxes and Navigation devices. Imagination needs to build cores that handle billions of computations a second, hundreds of algorithms, dozens of number formats - the datapath team builds, researches and verifies the most mathematically intensive of Imagination’s hardware. We invent new ways of adding, multiplying and dividing numbers (join us to find out what that means)! You will join a small dynamic and motivated design team that values creativity, invention and the ability to explain complex ideas completely and concisely. We are looking for an Engineer, Computer Scientist or Mathematician with an interest in generating innovative implementations of mathematical functions that achieve the ultimate in area and power & performance. Successful interns achieve infamy by creating components, tools or co-authoring patents that live on long after the internship finishes.
Projects: will come from the following areas and will be up to the expertise and interest of the applicant:
1) Optimize Datapath code – Imagination Technologies is constantly reviewing its code to guarantee it remains as competitive as possible. Develop novel approaches to Datapath to push the limit of performance.
2) Supporting new number formats – modern graphics chips contain a large range of different number formats, components and tools need to be developed to handle these representations natively.
3) Formal Verification – the task of checking that a specification is correctly implemented by a collection of logic gates is mission critical. However some verification tasks are just too hard, recent research has found ways of overcoming these difficulties – be one of the first to create ground breaking technology.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Tenacity with an attention to detail
Target Capabilities and Skills:
- Solid mathematical background
- Interest in Computer Arithmetic
Advertised: GMT Standard Time