Embedded System/Software Developer
Job no: 496416
Work type: Experienced
Location: Chepstow, UK
Categories: Applications, Embedded software
An experienced Embedded System/Software Developer is required to join a team developing low-power Bluetooth IP on the Ensigma RPU for deployment onto System-on-Chips (SoCs). The work will involve design, verification, development, validation and demonstration of the latest new features and performance enhancements.
The Ensigma product group has developed a world-leading multi-standard programmable communications engine, known as the RPU. The Ensigma RPU is a software configurable hardware IP core, consisting of a number of proprietary heterogeneous processing engines along with custom hardware acceleration, capable of performing OSI Layer 1 & 2 processing for both broadcast and connectivity standards. In the connectivity space this currently includes 802.11 b/g/n/ac up to 4x4 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0 and beyond.
Two Ensigma RPU platforms, Explorer and Whisper, target the high functionality, high performance central devices and lower functionality, extreme low power peripheral devices respectively. Our Bluetooth IP must adapt to fit the needs of both.
- Opportunity to see your work embodied in millions of consumer devices around the world
- Involvement in the development of cutting-edge deeply-embedded communications technology
- Not just software: Exposure to trade-offs arising from all parts of the engineering solution - RF, analog, DSP, digital, power, performance and silicon area
- Longer term work might involve WiFi or 802.15.4 (Zigbee or Thread)
- Experience in in C/C++ programming for embedded systems
- Familiarity with assembler level programming
- Experience of laboratory work and equipment for measuring system performance and debugging electrical faults
- Experience in high level languages such as Matlab and Python for modelling and scripting
- Experience of optimising for performance, power consumption and/or memory usage
- Experience of Layer 1 (Physical) and Layer 2 (Data Link) communications stack development, in particular Bluetooth
- Good understanding of DSP fundamentals and receiver design
- Experience of Linux driver development
- Experience of "bring-up" of real embedded silicon systems
- Open minded - happy to turn your hand to any problem that might be outside of your range of experiences
- Quality driven - you evaluate your deliverables from the recipient's point of view. Configuration management is second nature to you.
- Articulate - you are able and willing to write clear documentation
- Confident - you are happy to put your view forwards in meetings and presentations
- Keen to learn - you have a passion for engineering and want to learn about silicon IP development
Good honours degree in Engineering, Electronic Engineering or Computer Science
Advertised: GMT Standard Time